Sunday 4 March 2012

Post #4: Evaluating Intercultural Behavior

It was two years back, a Friday evening after a long day of classes. My girlfriend and I were at IMM shopping centre, to satisfy her craving for Shih Lin’s XXL crispy chicken, as it was the nearest outlet to campus. All was fine and dandy. She usually complains of boredom when I’m shopping for anything gadget-related, but as she was happily pre-occupied with her food, I took the chance to pop into a mobile accessories store to browse for a new case for my iPhone.

“Oh shoot, shoot, SHOOT!” – Her voice, steeped with panic, suddenly rose from the crowd. When I turned around to look, I saw her frantically scrambling through her bag, her face scrunched up as it always does when something is wrong. She couldn’t find her phone. Being the ‘meticulous one’, I took over the search and carefully combed through the items in the bag, and then dialed her number, hoping to get some haptic feedback. Alas, it was nowhere to be found.

I could feel her distress rise. Just a couple of weeks ago, she lost her two-month-old Apple MacBook Pro (laptop). Her eyes pooled with tears and she started mumbling about how she was going to break the news to her parents. I didn’t know what else to do, so I dialed her number again. And again. Finally, after several attempts, a man answered. He could not speak much English. I could not understand much of what he said either, but when I asked if he could come to IMM, he hung up. I wasn’t sure what that meant. We were skeptical about him turning up, but nonetheless headed to the entrance of the shopping centre to wait.

Scores of passersby went by, and we scanned the faces of as many as we could. After ten longest minutes, a Bangladeshi construction worker, who was still clad in his slightly tattered work clothes, caught our attention from the crowd as he was crossing the road in our direction. He was looking left and right, as if searching for someone. We walked toward him, my girlfriend anxiously muttering, “I hope it’s him” beside me. He seemed to acknowledge us. He pulled out a handkerchief-wrapped parcel from his pants pocket, carefully unfolded the cloth to reveal the phone, and handed it to us. As we thanked him repeatedly, he responded with just a small shy nod before walking back to where he came from.

Like many fellow Singaporeans, I had – I admit with shame – previously viewed migrant workers with distaste. Yet, this Bangladeshi worker reminded me of the cultural universal – distinguishing right from wrong.  Knowing what is right or wrong and acting accordingly transcends cultural boundaries. Even so, we tend to overlook this and are often quick to (mis)judge people of other cultures simply based on hearsay or external accounts. Moreover, the way the Bangladeshi had wrapped the phone with a handkerchief suggested that he respected the value that the phone had to its owner, even if it belonged to a stranger. It made me feel sorry for misconceptions I had in the past, and I realized that mutual respect is necessary for different culture groups to coexist harmoniously, as lack of respect impedes understanding of the other.

Also, while I have never thought of it until now, it was quite a phenomenon that without words, we still managed to locate each other out of so many people in the crowd outside the shopping centre, just based on body language and in this case, very anxious facial expressions.  

10 comments:

  1. Hi Joel

    This is truly a wonderful story. I too, am guilty of making false generalizations about migrant workers in Singapore. In fact, I know many domestic workers who come here and steal from their employers, and then run back to their hometowns. One of my uncles even had to send his maid to prison because she stole over $3000 worth of cash and valuables!

    I'm really happy that you shared this story, as it serves as a reminder that not all migrant workers are out to get a quick buck. Some of them (like the gentleman you mentioned above), are honest and decent people who have a clear sense of right and wrong. I think these people are the ones we should admire. Though they may be poor, they still resist the temptation to take something so valuable from someone else.

    Thanks for a great read Joel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joel!

    i wouldn't blame you for stereotyping these Bangladeshi workers as I feel this way too! I guess we all felt this way because of how these foreign workers looked at us when we walk past them. It really makes me feel uncomfortable! And furthermore, we have no clue on what they're saying when they speak in their native language. This is probably one of the reasons why we are skeptical towards them. But I have to admit that it is partly our fault for failing to try to understand their culture. As these workers are hired to do manual labour, sometimes, I feel that they are being looked down upon, so what they do always seemed weird to us.

    This blog post is a good reminder on how we should not stereotype anyone, especially the migrant workers. Thank you, Joel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joel,

    This is an awesome post. Most of us have a distaste for migrant worker and have an ill impression of them. I think this is a good reminder for us to give them their due respect. It's most amazing that although he couldn't really understand you nor could you understand him he still came back and looked for the owner of the lost phone when he could have sold it to second hand shop (which I honestly would assume that he would). I like how you describe your girlfriend's reaction though. I can totally imagine the both of you in the situation! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys, for the comments! I'm glad you all agree with me that we should not be quick to judge foreign workers in Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a much "needed" post, Joel, one that does indeed remind us that negatively stereotyping people, whether south Indian construction workers, Indonesian maids or Singaporean politicians is ill-advised because they are individuals first and foremost. Thanks for this poignant reminder!

    You tell your story very clearly and concisely. There is one sentence, however, that is worth reviewing.

    Just a couple of weeks ago, she lost her two-month-old Apple MacBook Pro (laptop). >>> Just a couple of weeks prior, she had lost her two-month-old Apple MacBook Pro (laptop). OUCH!

    In any case, I appreciate your sharing this touching tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad,

      I agree that I should have used the past perfect tense. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  6. Hi Joel, like everyone else mentioned, your post serves a good reminder for all of us to not negatively stereotype people. I also think some of us may be guilty of doubting the integrity of a non-Singaporean and blaming them for things that may happen to us. This led me to think of an alternative situation where if it had been a more tech-savvy Singaporean who took your girlfriend’s phone, could he/she have returned it, considering he/she knew the true potential of the phone? Sometimes it may be a case of the pot calling the kettle black? What do you think, haha?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Xi Min,

      Sorry for the really late reply. haha. Honestly, I think if a tech-savvy Singaporean found my girlfriend's phone he/she might not return the phone. As I mentioned in the post, two weeks prior to the incident, my girlfriend accidentally left her laptop in one of the University Hall toilets and never got it back. Also, a few years back, someone stole my dad's mobile phone in the most unexpected place, an MRT station's toilet.

      Delete
  7. Hello Joel thank you so much for this post. It really serves to remind us not to stereotype others just because they are not part of the culture that we are in. Many foreign workers are being looked down upon as we have very much labelled them as odd-job labourers who exhibit manners that may not go down well with locals. I guess we are actually not making the effort to understand them better as they are just like any of us, working hard for a living.

    I'm glad that the Bangladeshi worker had helped change your impressions of them as I'm sure they are very nice people :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pamela,

      Sorry for the really late reply! I'm glad this post has reminded you (and us) that we should not stereotype others.

      Delete